Oluf Brønnum & Co. was founded in 1874 by Oluf Brønnum and served as Denmark's first specialty shop for kitchens, dinnerware, serving articles, glassware, and cutlery.
Today, the company is Denmark's oldest within the industry with nearly 140 years of experience. It is still family-held.
After a few years in business, Oluf Brønnum began to consider what opportunities there might be to increase revenue by expanding customer base. Consequently, the company began sending out brochures to large households around the country.
At the time, the purchasing power was highest in the large households which had servants and many guests. It was primarily in affluent neighborhoods in Copenhagen and along Strandvejen, where the large villas at that time served as summer residences. Additionally, the company addressed large estates around the country, which also had many employees.
This approach meant that the company grew quickly, and around year 1900 it was one of the biggest hardware stores in the country.
Subsequently, the company was carried on by the founder's two sons, still with retail as the foundation of the business. However, gradually a number of customers from the public sector and the larger hotels and restaurants in Copenhagen were added to the company’s client list as well.
In 1950 the third generation of the family joined the company in the form of the founder’s grandson, Oluf Brønnum-Schou. Under his management, the company established a department for professionals in the kitchen and restaurant sector. It was established on the 1st
floor above the shop on the corner of Holbergsgade and Tordenskjoldsgade. A large warehouse at Christianshavn was acquired as a stockroom to assist in helping moving the expansion forward.
In 1954, the company was appointed purveyor to Her Majesty.
The company grew continuously and moved to Herlev in 1979. Simultaneously, the retail stores were phased out and from this moment on the company only concerned itself with the professional market.
Finally, the 4th
generation of the family was put at the helm of the company in 1987. From a modest beginning in Herlev with 1,500 m2 under roof, the company is today one of the largest manufacturers of professional catering equipment in Denmark with a nationwide sales and service organization with more than 100 employees and around 10,000 m2 under roof.